Monday, February 25, 2019

StrengthsFinder 2.0


Do you know what your strengths are?💪🏻 For sure, you already have a good grasp of what you’re good at because it’s impossible for our strengths and talents not to manifest in our daily life. For instance, I am quite sure communication is my strength because I’ve always loved talking and writing since I was little. It’s easy for me to express my thoughts into words and I don’t shy away from conversations. But what about my other strengths? Do I have other talents that I fail to acknowledge and just go untapped?

Last week, our company had an activity where I was introduced to StrengthsFinder by Donald Clifton. It is a powerful online assessment developed to help people uncover and develop their natural talents. StrengthsFinder lists 34 potential strengths, and after taking the around 200-item quiz, you’ll learn about your top 5 “signature themes” with detailed descriptions and suggestions for using them in life and at work. 

I took the test, and I discovered that my top 5 strengths are these. 


As I was reading the description per theme, I couldn’t stop saying “this is so me.” It feels wonderful to be validated, to learn that I am really good at something I always sorta thought I was good at.😉 Let me share here the description of each one.

This is really me, though I'm quite surprised to have this as my top 1 theme.
I've always thought of myself as opinionated, but I guess it doesn't always mean
I am assertive enough to air out what I think especially if it could 'rock the boat.'
Like I mentioned in the first part of this post, I have always known this to be my strength.
Maybe because as a child, I've always been expected to recite poems or declaim in front of my old relatives.

Oh yes, I am able to survive the daily grind, thanks to my trusty routine, timelines, and structure!
This theme is very apparent in my day to day life, at home and at work!
When I've decided I will do something, I will do it NOW. When I know I need something, I'll ask for it NOW.
It is my strength, and unfortunately, my major weakness.
Yeah, the past is a very useful tool for me. The downside is, sometimes I tend to dwell too much on it.
Oh well.

With all 34 themes, there can be 33 million different combinations, and this top 5 of mine is my very own unique combination. That's why my mashup is really so me. Because I am only one out of 33 million who has this!  Amazing, right?🤩  I wonder what the rest of my themes look like in terms of ranking.  Maybe in time I'll purchase the full report so I could peek into it, but for now, I should try to focus on my five so I could develop them more.  Like what was mentioned at the workshop conducted for our team, your top 5 strengths can also be your top 5 weaknesses, depending on how you use them.  The talent could either be raw, which means it is uninformed, inexperienced, and tends to be more self-oriented and unproductive; or it could be mature, which means it is more informed, more practiced, tends to be more others-oriented and is highly productive.  Having said these, I got lots of practicing to do on the path to maturity, especially with my Activator theme which can drive people crazy! 🤣



I can go on and on and on about StrengthsFinder because I find it really interesting, but this post has already gotten long! 😅 If you are as intrigued by it as I am, you can read more about StrengthsFinder here, and you can even take the test yourself! Be ready to gain an improved self-awareness and a new way to explain who you are to others.  Ciao! 



Post a Comment

© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.