Monday, August 21, 2017

Let Them Be Little... and Clingy.

Before I had a baby, I would often hear exhausted mommy friends complaining about how their little ones can be so clingy. How the child would refuse to let mommy out of his or her sight, wanting to stay close to her even when the mom needs to go to the toilet.  I never had this situation with Lia during the first two years of her life when she clearly preferred her daddy, but right after she turned two... BOOM! There's never a day when you don't hear her say, "Mommy lang!!!"


So, how clingy can my gooey little glue get? It's different everyday, but I think Lia is far from the extremely sticky side, but sticky nonetheless.  Here's a rundown of our daily scenarios:

  • She feels sleepy, and her daddy would try to get her. "Nooo... karga mommy!"
  • When my arms get tired from carrying her, her dad would try to get her again. "Nooo... mommy lang!"
  • When we transfer to her room and I'd give her to her yaya, she would wail and say, "Mommy lang! Other room, mommy!"
  • When she plays on the mat while I lie down on the bed, she'd call me. "Mommy, sit on the mat."
  • When she wakes up in the middle of the night and her light sleeper dad would try to put her back to sleep, she'd crawl to me and wake me up so that I, instead, could put her back to sleep.
  • When she asks for milk and her dad would give her the bottle, she'd refuse to take it and say "Mommy lang." I'd get the bottle to give to her, ayun, kukunin na n'ya.
  • When I'm on the bed, she'd sometimes go to my tummy and use it as her pillow while she drinks her milk.
  • When we're watching TV, all of a sudden, she will just take my hand and hold it.
  • When I step out of the room, she'd ask whoever is with her, "Where's mommy?"

There are days when I just feel really drained that I sometimes wish Lia would give me a little break. I remember this one night last week when I even cried silently in exhaustion and sleepiness when she woke up in the middle of the night and wanted me instead of her dad to carry her.  Yes, I feel upset sometimes, but during moments like this, I deliberately remind myself that these moments are only fleeting, and before I even know it, Lia would already be a grown-up, wanting to spend more time with her friends than with family.  When I think of this and she's in my arms, I hold her more tightly, more gently, more lovingly.  I just can't imagine my baby not needing me anymore.  I can't imagine myself not having little fingers clutching my hands, tiny arms swinging around my neck, and small but strong feet kicking me on the face at night. When I think of these, I treasure every second of her clinginess, every wet kiss, and every super-tight-I-can't-breathe hug.  

Sharing below the lyrics of this sweet, sweet song by Billy Dean, to remind us, mommies, to cherish these moments while our children are little, while they are clingy, and while they need us the most. :) It might help us show our love more during sticky situations. ;)



I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand. 
Felt so good in it, no bigger than a minute. 
How it amazes me, you're changing with every blink. 
Faster than a flower blooms they grow up all too soon.
So let them be little, cause they're only that way for a while. 
Give them hope, give them praise, give them love, every day. 
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle, let them sleep in the middle. 
Oh, just let them be little.
I've never felt so much in one little tender touch. 
I live for those kisses, prayers and your wishes. 
Now that you're teaching me things only a child can see. 
Every night while we're on our knees all I ask is please
Let them be little, cause they're only that way for a while. 
Give them hope, give them praise, give them love, everyday. 
Let em cry, let em giggle, let them sleep in the middle. 
Oh just let them be little.
So innocent, a precious soul, you turn around. 
It's time to let them go.
So let them be little, cause they're only that way for a while. 
Give them hope, give them praise, give them love, every day. 
Let em cry, let em giggle, let them sleep in the middle. 
Oh, just let them be little
Let them be little

I love you, clingy baby! :)


Post a Comment

© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.