Saturday, January 3, 2015

Souvenir Stretch Marks

Ever since my baby bump has started to balloon, I've always made it a point to check myself out in the mirror daily to see if not-so-pleasant pregnancy souvenirs, a.k.a. STRETCH MARKS, have started to appear. I had always been proud having seen nothing. During one of my OB visits, my doctor even made a comment that my tummy skin seemed well moisturized, and she's hoping I won't get the dreaded red streaks ever.

Well, today is a different story. :( Today, my tummy has changed forever.  

See those purple marks? It's their birthday today, when I'm exactly 25 weeks & 3 days pregnant.
My apologies if you're squeamish and you find this photo gross. =S Huhu.
(The dark line at the center is the "linea nigra", FYI.)

The stretch marks are unsightly, obviously.  Imagine my shock when I discovered them after shower; hubby even heard me shriek!  Oh well, though I was fervently hoping I won't get them, part of me somehow knew it was inevitable.  More than half of all expectant mommies get these red 'roadmaps', when the belly is already rapidly expanding to accommodate the growing sweet pea.   Unfortunately, there isn't much one can do to prevent them, there's no proof that these creams and oils promising a flawless pregnant belly actually work, though they may reduce the itch.  Take it from me.  Hubby and I have been doing our part, him slathering lotion on and around my tummy every night to keep the skin hydrated, but still, THIS happened. 

But what really causes stretch marks anyway?

Let me borrow this paragraph from www.whattoexpect.com:

"Stretch marks are actually tiny tears in the supporting layers of tissue under your skin as it's pulled tight to the limit during pregnancy. Susceptibility has lots to do with GENETICS: Chances are, if your mother got them, you probably will too - while if she sailed through her pregnancies with smooth skin intact, you'll probably stay as smooth as your baby's butt. Rapid pregnancy weight gain can also make you more likely to get stretch marks. And darker-skinned women are less likely to get stretch marks as fair-skinned gals (plus they're not as visible on dark skin)."

In my case, I'm pretty sure genetics is to blame.  Up to this day, my mom's belly still has her zigzagging souvenir from me and kuya.  And now the streaks have begun zigzagging in mine. Waaah!  

But kidding and kaartehan aside, this is a very small price women have to pay in their journey to becoming a mommy.  The joy that a child can bring to a home is priceless, and no amount of stretch marks could outweigh that.  I look forward to the day when our baby doll is already old enough to understand, when I can show her this photo and tell her how she has left a mark on mommy's belly while she was growing inside.  I bet she'd be delighted (and grossed out, haha), the same way I was when my mom showed me hers. :)

Thank you for the souvenir, baby doll!  :) If these marks mean you're growing steadily and healthily inside me, then keep them coming! ;)  Daddy and I love you!



#BellyBlessed,


Post a Comment

© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.