Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Glucose Challenge

I've always had a sweet tooth, pregnant or not.  But ever since I got a bun in the oven, my sweet tooth has gotten ten times sweeter, and eating chocolates and cakes has been much harder to resist!  You'd probably guess I'm prone to gestational diabetes (a condition in which women without previously diagnosed diabetes exhibit high blood glucose levels during pregnancy). Huhu. Glad my OB ordered an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) for me, so that we could catch it early on, if ever.

My OGTT schedule was last Saturday, and to prepare for it, I had to fast for 8 to 10 hours prior.  My last food and liquid intake was at 12:30 midnight, just in time for my 8:30am arrival at Asian Hospital.

Minutes after hubby and I got to the lab, a blood sample was taken from my arm.  Then I was asked to drink a sugar solution containing 75 grams of glucose.

Wasn't able to take a photo of the bottle, so I just grabbed this from Google Images. :)

The orange one was exactly what I drank. It tasted like a very sweet soda pop, think Sunny Orange (haha so 90s)! =D I was happy that at least it was chilled, I was already very hungry and thirsty at that time from almost 9 hours of not eating or drinking anything.  After that, I had to endure another two hours of starvation.  My blood sample was taken again at around 11:30am, then finally, I was already allowed to eat.  Well, I didn't just eat.  I pigged out! =D

The OGTT results would be forwarded to my OB two days later, so I will just know if I passed the glucose challenge when I pay another visit to her clinic within the week. :) Munchkin and I will be keeping our fingers crossed! :)

*********

UPDATE as of 11 Dec 2014:
I passed!  My numbers are in the second column below, and they're within the normal range.
Yippee, thank You Lord! :)




#BellyBlessed,


Post a Comment

© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.