Wednesday, September 26, 2018

My Birth Plan

I recently saw this meme online. 
I don’t know for sure how true this statement is, others say it’s a hoax for there is no simple way to quantify the pain of childbirth and the pain varies widely based on a huge variety of factors. But if there’s a grain of truth to it, won’t we, moms, want to minimize the agony as much as possible? Wouldn’t we want to make the experience as least tormenting as possible? I would. And this is where my birth plan would play a part. 

A birth plan is a document that states your preferences plus other information that your medical/birthing team needs to be aware of. It must state your preferred methods of managing pain (natural or epidural?), who will be allowed in the birthing room with you, information on drug allergies, whether you would allow a C-section if there’s a sudden need for it, and other relevant instructions. Your doctor, nurses, and family members should have a copy of the birth plan because they’re the ones to make sure it is followed while you’re in labor, and post-childbirth. However, it is important to note that you can’t control every aspect of labor and delivery, and you’ll need to stay flexible in case something arises that would make certain instructions on your plan nonviable, especially if it would concern your health and the baby’s. 

Since I’m already on my 35th week, it’s a must that my birth plan is ready just in case! I already crafted it, and I plan to discuss it with my OB on my next visit next week. 


BIRTH PLAN 
NAME: JOYCE ANNE D. DELOS REYES 
BLOOD TYPE & RH FACTOR: O 


ENVIRONMENT 
  • I would like my husband, ROLLY DELOS REYES, to be present. 
  • I would like to be able to film/document the baby's birth. 

PAIN MEDICATION 
  • I would prefer to TRY laboring without pain medication. I will ask if I would like something for pain. If I do ask for pain medication, I would like an epidural. 
LABOR 
  • I would prefer not to be separated from my husband at any point during labor or birth. 
  • I would prefer a limited number of people entering and exiting the room (as few as possible). 

EPISIOTOMY 
  • I prefer the smallest episiotomy cut while pushing the baby out. 

DELIVERY 
  • I prefer to try all natural options before considering a C-section. I would like to avoid a cesarean if at all possible. 
  • I would like to have immediate contact with the baby. 

POST-BIRTH 
  • Please place baby immediately on my chest and leave baby there as indicated by the UNANG YAKAP method (skin-to-skin contact). 
  • I would like to wait on cutting the umbilical cord until it stops pulsating. 
  • I would like baby to room in with me. 
  • If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany my baby at all times. 
  • I would prefer to leave the hospital as soon as possible after birth. 

BREASTFEEDING 
  • My baby will be exclusively breastfed. Please do not offer pacifier, sugar water, plain water, or formula. 
  • Should you need to feed my baby, please refrain from using a bottle and use a cup instead. 
  • I would like to request for assistance from the hospital’s lactation nurses. 

We will of course be flexible with the points raised if a complication arises. We trust that you will inform us if any problems/ complications arise so that we can discuss the choices to be made. 


***********


The birth plan has to be accompanied by another very important document, and that is your general information sheet. It should state all relevant facts that the medical team needs to know about you and your pregnancy, so that they won’t have to bug you to repeatedly ask questions while (or before) you’re in labor. Here’s mine, without my personal details. 


INFORMATION SHEET 

NAME: 
AGE: 
BLOOD TYPE & RH FACTOR: 

NAME OF HUSBAND & BIRTH PARTNER: 
AGE: 
BLOOD TYPE & RH FACTOR: 

LAST MENSTRUAL PERIOD: 
EXPECTED DATE OF DELIVERY: 
AGE OF GESTATION: 

GRAVIDA: 
PARITY: 

AGE OF 1ST MENSTRUAL PERIOD: 
REGULAR OR IRREGULAR CYCLE? 
DAYS OF MENSTRUATION: 
HOW MANY PADS ON A HEAVY DAY?

NAME OF OB: 
NAME OF PEDIA: 

ANY MEDICAL INSURANCE? 

MEDICAL HISTORY 

HOW IS THIS PREGNANCY? 
ALLERGIES TO FOOD OR DRUGS 

CONCERNS SUCH AS: 

Asthma: 
Hypertension: 
Diabetes: 
Edema:
UTI:


PREGNANCY TESTS DONE: 
CBC:
FBS:
URINALYSIS:
ULTRASOUND:
CONGENITAL SCAN:
BIO-PHYSICAL TEST 
NON STRESS TEST 

DO YOU SMOKE? DRINK ALCOHOL? 

SUPPLEMENTARY VITAMINS TAKEN: 

AS YOU REACH THE DELIVERY ROOM COMPLEX: 

HOW ARE THE CONTRACTIONS? _____________________________________ 

ANY PINK/BLOOD DISCHARGE? ______________________________________ 

DID THE BAG LEAK OR RUPTURE? ____________________________________ 

WHEN WAS YOUR LAST MEAL? ______________________________________ 


***********

It’s always good to have a plan, to feel prepared. However, remember that things may not always go according to how we imagined them to happen, so it’s important to remain reasonably flexible on D-day. The ultimate goal is to deliver our bundle of joy in the safest way possible. 😊




Post a Comment

© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.