Thursday, July 4, 2013

My First Ever Chiffon Cake




MISSION: bake a chiffon cake with boiled (a.k.a. “foam”) icing.
TARGET ACHIEVEMENT:  0%

Hehehe.

Okaaay. It was my first time to bake a cake on my own. That is, outside of class without a master baker to look after me and without teammates to help out. The outcome? #BakeFail! Hahaha. 


Everything went well at first. I enjoyed measuring each ingredient and organizing them on the table so I wouldn’t mix up the similar-looking ones. I was doing okay until the part when it already involved the egg whites. According to the recipe, I had to mix it with cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form (see photo below). I knew exactly what to do because it was taught in class. The problem was, there was no soft peak forming. Huhuhu. I continued mixing but the point came that I gave up. I was damn sure that I already over-mixed and that I missed the soft peak formation. At this stage, I could not salvage the egg whites anymore. I was left to choose between throwing the mixture away and stop my baking, or continue with it and pray that the finished product would still look like a cake. Hehe. I chose the latter.

This is how a "soft peak" looks, one of the multiple stages an egg white mixture goes through when beaten. :)
(Photo courtesy of Google Images)
Because of the egg-white mishap, the base cake didn’t rise enough. :( At this point, it still looked and smelled like a cake.  But I already knew something was very wrong.  I had to wait ‘til I tasted it.
Same egg-white-soft-peak-fail happened when I was doing the icing! :( Look how flowy it was! It’s supposed to stand firm and take shape, but it never did.



My ever-supportive hubby said it tasted okay, he even said it’s yummy! (%5$!2#*??!) But of course that’s him, so I took the statement with a grain of salt. Bolero eh!  Haha. I myself sank my teeth into this unsuccessful creation. In fairness, it still tasted good, but I knew it wasn’t supposed to taste that way. Didn’t taste like chiffon at all. It was more like sweet bread. Hehe. Oh well, I’ll just try again next time! No pain no gain! :) I just wish that Rolly would never get sick of all my cake experiments. I wouldn’t want him to regret buying me my baking tools. Hehe.



Cheers,


Post a Comment

© Mommy Joys | Marriage, Motherhood, Life.. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.